Mami Hino's practice emphasizes client counseling, strategic patent prosecution, post-grant opposition, invalidity trial and its IP High Court appeal, and infringement litigation. She collaborates with variety of clients from heavy machine companies to consumer product companies including chemical companies and pharmaceutical companies.
Due to her background as a registered pharmacist and experience working at the research laboratory of a pharmaceutical company, Mami Hino has extensive experience representing innovator pharmaceutical companies to protect their patents, such as filing patent term extension applications, defending their patents in invalidity trials and IP High Court appeals, filing preliminary injunction requests and/or patent infringement suits against generic companies.
Mami Hino studied law at a U.S. law school (J.D.) and practiced as an attorney at a New York law firm that specialized in intellectual property. Because of the background, she can assist foreign clients not just with her extensive experience with Japanese IP law but also with an objective view comparing Japanese IP law with foreign IP laws.
- Juris Doctor, Seton Hall University School of Law, USA 1999
- Bachelor of Pharmacy, Kyoto University, Japan 1984
- New York
- Patent Attorney (admitted to practice intellectual property infringement litigation) in Japan
- Foreign legal consultant in Japan
Abe Ikubo & Katayama (Counsel, 2004-2006; Partner 2006-Present)
Baker & McKenzie, Tokyo (Associate, 2002-2004)
Pennie & Edmonds (Law Clerk, 1998-2000; Associate, 2000-2002)
Asahina Co., (Technical Advisor, 1990-1994; Associate, 1994-1996)
Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Company (Research Pharmacist 1984- 1987)
- Recognized as band 1 patent specialist in Japan (2007 - 2017)
- Recognized in "The World's Leading Patent Practitioners" by IAM Patent 1000 (2012 – 2016)
- "IP Star" in Patent Filing & Prosecution, Patent Office Proceedings, Patent Strategy & Counseling, and Patent Litigation by Managing Intellectual Property (2015 – 2016)
- Recognized as an expert in patent and women in business law by Expert Guides (2016-2017)
- Recognized as one of best lawyers in intellectual property section and litigation section of Best Lawyers®