|1973||Graduated from Kyoto University, Faculty of Engineering|
|1973-1982||Fujisawa Pharmaceutical Company|
|1982||Entered the Legal Training and Research Institute (36th graduating class)|
|1982||LLB, Kobe University, Law Faculty|
Admitted to the bar (Daiichi Tokyo Bar Association)
Joined Ginza Law Office (current Abe, Ikubo & Katayama)
Study and work in the United States and Europe:
New York University Law School
Winthrop Stimson Putnam & Roberts (New York)
Clifford Chance (Paris)
Stanbrook Hooper (Brussels)
Bristows Cooke and Carpmael (London)
Max Planck Institute (Munich)
|1989||Admitted to the New York Bar|
|1990||Return to Japan, Practice at Ginza Law Firm|
|2005-2009||Lecturer of Hitotsubashi University (IP Law)|
|2005-2009||Lecturer of Waseda University (IP Law)|
|2007-||Professor of MIPLC (Munich Intellectual Property Law Center)|
- Former President of AIPPI Japan
- Former President of Tokyo IP American Inn of Court
- Former Chairman of Intellectual Property Law Center of Japan Federation of Bar Association
- Japan Academy of Industrial Property Law
- The Copyright Law Academy of Japan
- Board Member for Seikagaku Corporation
- Director / Audit and Supervisory Committee Member of Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation
- Auditor Board Member for Akatsuki Inc.
Main Areas of Practice
Katayama works in wide areas of international and corporate matters with a focus on intellectual property law and bankruptcy law. The patent litigation that he has participated in to date, covers the fields of chemistry, electronics and machinery, which involve advanced technology such as biotechnology, semiconductors etc, and which are cross border matters. He also has experiences in trademark, copyright and unfair competition litigation.
In the field of insolvency, he handled the corporate reorganization cases of Japan Airlines, Azabu, Tsuchiura, Riccar, Maruko, Muramoto Construction and Hokke Club as the trustee or the deputy trustee and handled liquidation case of Yamaichi Real Estate as the trustee in bankruptcy. He filed the corporate reorganization cases for the debtors including Japan Leasing, Life, Daiichi Hotel, Chiyoda Mutual Life Insurance and Kyoei Life Insurance. Also, in the civil rehabilitation of the Sogo group, he was in charge of the overseas operation. He also handled civil rehabilitation as lead counsel for many golf courses including Nitto Kougyo and Ryokuei as well as Japanese producers.
In the corporate law area often including cross border matters, he gives opinion letters on various corporate matters, conducts negotiations on M&A and other transaction, and provides consultations on legal affairs related to management. He also has deep knowledge and experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
For companies such as Seikagaku Corporation and Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation, he serves as a board member. Further, he provides advice on corporate governance and compliance for many corporations as their retained counsel.
- "Exercise of Avoidance Power" in "Corporate Reorganization Law /Civil Rehabilitation"
- New Court Practice Structure 21 (Published by Seirin Shoin in November 2004)
- "Test for Generic Drugs and Research Exemption– the Case of Therapeutic Agents for Patients with Pancreatic Diseases" in " 3rd Edition of 100 Leading Patent Cases" Supplementary Issue No. 170 Jurist February 2004 (Yuhikaku)
- "Commencement of Reorganization Procedure and License Agreements" in "Theory and Practice for the New Corporate Reorganization Law" Hanrei Times No. 1132 (extra edition)
(Published by Hanrei Times on December 10, 2003)
- "Recent Trends in Biotech Patent Litigation" Issue No. 1 2002, Vol. 52 Chizai Kanri (Intellectual Property Management)
- "Parallel Imports" in "Intellectual Property Related Civil Procedure", New Court Practice Structure 4", Seirin Shoin (Published December 10, 2001)